Did you know that chewing gum can benefit your oral health? Studies have shown that chewing sugarless gum for at least 20 minutes after a meal can help prevent tooth decay and cavities. The reason is because chewing gum promotes saliva production.
Chewing gum with sugar would have the same effect, but any benefits gained from the saliva production would be lost due to additional sugars in our mouths. For a list of the benefits of chewing sugarless gum, look below:
– Saliva flow that is created by chewing sugarless gum can wash away harmful plaque buildup and other food particles. If plaque is allowed to fester in the mouth, it can convert products such as sugar into harmful acids that eat through tooth enamel and cause cavities to occur.
– Studies have shown that sugarless gum can prevent heartburn, which is the buildup of acids in your esophagus. These acids, if they reach your mouth, can damage your teeth and gums.
– Although sugarless gum can have some oral health benefits, by no means should it be used as a substitute for brushing and flossing, which remain two of the most important oral hygiene habits we have.
– If you have a jaw disorder such as a temporomandibular disorder, avoid chewing gum until your jaw is healed.
– Try to always look for oral health care products that feature the ADA Seal of Acceptance given by the American Dental Association. If you are unsure if a product is right for you, always speak with our dentists before use.
Sugarless gum is another tool that you can use in your oral health repertoire. For any additional questions or concerns, Regal Dentistry is here to help you with all your oral health needs. For a complete diagnosis from Dr. Manalese, Dr. Tsai, Dr. Rusen, Dr. Wright, and our team at our dental office in Riverside, California, you can schedule an appointment by calling us at 951-888-5805. We look forward to having you as our guest soon.