When you have periodontal (gum) disease, our dentists may recommend an antibiotic treatment to kill the harmful bacteria in your mouth and begin restoring your oral health. Arestin® is an antibiotic that is released slowly over time to produce long-lasting results. To learn more about Arestin antibiotic treatment in Riverside, California, and schedule your consultation with Drs. Joel Manalese, Eveline Hamdani, Collin Tsai, and Jeffrey Nguyen, call Regal Dentistry today at 951-643-4405.
Arestin is placed directly into the infected pockets of your gums, usually following a scaling and root planing treatment, to kill the disease-causing bacteria in your mouth. It is provided in the form of a powder, which contains microspheres full of antibiotic medication. Arestin fights infection and inflammation in your gums for 30 days as this medication is released, and should produce visible improvements to your gums within 90 days.
Following your Arestin treatment, we recommend that you:
- Avoid touching areas of your gums that your dentist has treated for 1 week
- Wait 10 days before using floss, toothpicks, or other devices designed to clean between teeth in the areas that were treated with Arestin
- Avoid eating hard, crunchy, or sticky foods such as carrots, taffy, and gum for 1 week after treatment
- Be sure to return for your follow-up appointments, since periodontal (gum) disease can recur and gums need to be checked regularly
- Drink plenty of water
- Limit your use of tobacco. We recommend that you consider quitting entirely.
We welcome you to contact our office to schedule an appointment with our dentists and learn more about Arestin.